birding-aus

birding-aus Spangled Drongo, Adelaide sighting.

Subject: birding-aus Spangled Drongo, Adelaide sighting.
From: "jon wren" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 06:03:18 PST
birding-aus

I had the pleasure of a long weekend in Adelaide. On Sunday 14 March I
was walking up Warren Road, Modbury North a northern suburb when I heard
the call of a Spangled Drongo. I sighted the bird and it was definately
a Drongo the fishtail being most prominent. At the time I was walking
with an English visitor who is not a birdwatcher but did confirm the
fishtail feature of the birds tail.
Being a resident of North Queensland I thought it was quite surprising
to observe this species so far South. On checking the FG I notice that
Simpson and Day indicate sightings in the Adelaide area with an arrow
and a comment that the bird is "found well out of its accepted tropical
range".
Pizzey and Knight state that it is a vagrant in SA.
Have any Adelaide observers sighted this bird recently?

Jon Wren
PO Box 868
Bowen
Queensland