birding-aus

birding-aus Re:Drongo tail

Subject: birding-aus Re:Drongo tail
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 21:34:12 +1000
birding-aus

Hi all,
I have no banding experience with drongos (of any description) but it sounds
to me like these birds are finishing a standard tail moult where the two
central tail feathers are lost and replaced first followed sequentially by
each 'pair' of tail feathers until the outer pair are replaced by new
feathers. Several tail feathers can be growing at anytime so while the
central few may have reached their full length and stopped growing the outer
few may not have reached full length yet. Both adults replacing their tails
and immatures moulting into their first 'adult' tail may have tails similar
to the birds described by Andrew and Joe so to age them one would best look
for other characters such as eye colour.
Rohan

 Andrew Thelander Wrote;
However, the outer tail feathers of my immature drongo weren't
as long as the central tail feathers, so that when he fanned his tail, the
outer feathers stuck out the side, progressively down the tail, rather than
in a flat line at the bottom.

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)