birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Black Falcons in the Lockyer Valley

To: <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Black Falcons in the Lockyer Valley
From: "Vicki Parslow Stafford" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 01:12:04 -0500
birding-aus

My brother and I made a short visit up the valley today, and were fortunate
enough to see one of the black falcons flying out over a lagoon, then
perching for a time in a dead eucalypt nearby (a life-lister for both of
us).....Not only that, but we observed it having a bit of a "lair-up" with
a spotted harrier, and a whistling kite who decided to join in the action.

Other exciting sightings at the same place were a pair of pink-eared ducks
(another life-lister for both of us), and a plum-headed finch.  A nice
variety of waterfowl on the lagoon -- a couple of magpie geese, a few
hardheads, black swans, jacanas, plumed whistle-ducks, the usual PBDs and
maned geese, purple swamphens, coot, moorhens, a couple of little grebes,
little black and little pied cormorants, straw-necked and sacred ibis, and
a couple of little egrets.  Also observed -- a raptor's nest in a big
eucalypt nearby;  couldn't be sure whether it was the whistling kite's or
the spotted harrier.

Lake Clarendon and Bill Gunn Dam were disappointing -- damn all there at
present, perhaps too much water.  Noticed quite a few black swan nests on a
swampy lagoon/dam down the road aways from Lake Clarendon.

Thanks heaps to Tom for his "top tip".

Vicki PS.
> From: Tom Tarrant <>
> Subject: birding-aus Black Falcons in the Lockyer Valley
> Date: Sunday, 7 March 1999 1:42
> G'day All,
> Just a quick post to inform that a pair of Black Falcons were observed
> yesterday in the Lockyer Valley agricultural area. If anyone is
> interested in seeing these birds please contact me and I will let you
> know the site.

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)