birding-aus

birding-aus FW: Spotted Bowerbird record in SE Qld

To: "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: birding-aus FW: Spotted Bowerbird record in SE Qld
From: "Atzeni, Michael" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:33:55 +1000
birding-aus

As promised, here are the details of the only Spotted Bowerbird record I
know of in the Lockyer Valley.  Also the most easterly I know of.  The site
is probably worth revisiting for the Atlas on that basis alone.  Does anyone
else know of other easterly records for SE Qld, apart from Tom's recent
Stanthorpe sighting?

Details:  (Source: Toowoomba Bird Observers Inc. Newsletter No. 228 Jan
1994)

Rod Hobson saw a single bird near the junction of Ingoldsby Rd and Caffey
Connection, Tent Hill via Gattton, SE Qld on 17/12/94 around 9:15 am.
Severe drought conditions persisted at the time with hot, humid
pre-thunderstorm weather on the day.

The habitat was cleared agricultural land.  Wet, very heavily vegetated
gully nearby to sighting.  Hillside onto which the bird flew very steep with
sandstone outcropping; heavily vegetated, Spotted Gum (Eucalyptus maculata),
Narrow-leafed ironbark (E. crebra), in association with dense undergrowth of
Velvet Tree Pear (Opuntia tomentosa), Carrol (Backhousia myrtifolia) and
Bottle Tree (Brachychiton rupestre).

Single bird observed (10x40 binoculars) from stationary vehicle in sandy
gravel on roadside verge (feedling?).  Bird flew across road and up
adjoining steep hillside.  Came to rest in low woody scrub.  Believe bird to
have been a female as crest inconspicuous.  Had very clear views of all
characteristics.  Very familiar with this bird from previous sightings in
western Queensland.

Regards
Michael Atzeni
 Toowoomba QLD 4350
 AUSTRALIA

 Phone +61 7 4688 1318      Fax    +61 7 4688 1192
 Email:

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)