birding-aus

birding-aus Re: Birds at Liquorland

Subject: birding-aus Re: Birds at Liquorland
From: "Carol Probets" <>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 04:12:00 PST
birding-aus

Edwin Vella's "Birds at Church" reminded me of what is probably the
opposite of his "religious birds" - a heathen bird!

Around Christmas last year, one of the employees at Liquorland in
Katoomba told me that she had found a dead quail which had apparently
collided with the large glass doors. Maybe it didn't realise they were
closed on Christmas day.

Unfortunately the quail had already been disposed of, but when I asked
her "How many toes did it have?", I was surprised that she had been
observant enough to be able to answer that it had three, which narrowed
it down to a Button-quail.

Which brings me to "Birds While Waiting For The NRMA". Last month my
car's fuel pump died on a very rainy day at Wentworth Falls. This
resulted in a three hour wait for the NRMA and tow truck on a boring
street corner near the railway line. While standing on the footpath, I
happened to look down and at my feet was a soggy, very dead Painted
Button-quail. Oh well, it made the wait interesting for a couple of
minutes.

Cheers,
Carol

Carol Probets