birding-aus

birding-aus Thanks for finch info

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Thanks for finch info
From: "Michael Todd" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 12:11:18 +1100
Hello everyone,

Thanks to everyone who sent me info on where they had seen Crimson and Star Finches as well as info on interesting finch behaviour. Two of the most unusual observations came from Frank O'Connor (Zebra Finches and Long-tailed Finches catching flying insects) and Neville Schrader (Crimsons feeding on nectar). Has anybody else seen this kind of behaviour in finches? Even observations that you think might not be so interesting could still be useful- you can just send direct to me if you are not sure.  If I use any of you observations I'll make sure they are referenced.

Also thanks to the people who provided ideas and suggestions as to reed-warbler ID. On the basis of some subdued singing I heard the other day, and the relative length of the bill compared to the head I am tentatively suggesting that they are Clamorous RWarblers- but I'm still waiting to get a photo back so that could still change! I am yet to see streaks on the chest of any reed warblers. Most of the calling at the moment is a "chuck" call given intermittently which I have made a recording (not professional) of. I'll wait and see.

Thanks again,

Mick
Michael Todd
Finch Researcher,