birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Juvenile Koel food question?

To: "Gerry Hopkins" <>, <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Juvenile Koel food question?
From: "sonnenburg" <>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 21:58:35 +1000
birding-aus

A number of years ago a rehabilitated juvenile Koel was banded and released
in a surburban backyard in Brisbane.  It was fed by a pair of adult Koels
prior to disappearing with them when they migrated north.  The following
spring it returned to the same yard and hung around most of the summer
before heading north again. It returned several years in a row  and had a
female in tow for the last few.
Where I now live in Brisbane I have seen adult Koels feed juveniles not
long before they migrate.

Roy Sonnenburg

----------
> From: Gerry Hopkins <>
> Subject: birding-aus Juvenile Koel food question?
> Date: Saturday, 06 March, 1999 17:02
>
> birding-aus
>
> birding-aus
>
> Hi birders,
> Called on to identify the noisy big baby being fed by a pair of red
wattlebirds by my
> neighbours. Explained that it was a juvenile koel, that it's parents
migrate from N.G. to
> eastern Aus. each summer and eats fruit such as the mulberries next door.
Being a cuckoo
> uses foster parents to raise thier young. Red wattlebirds (honeyaters)
were feeding nectar