birding-aus

birding-aus Rainbow Bee-eaters Migrating

Subject: birding-aus Rainbow Bee-eaters Migrating
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 06:34:22 +0800
birding-aus

I arrived back at the Argyle Diamond Mine village (north east Kimberley in
WA) just before dusk last night to witness a flock of ~150 Rainbow
Bee-eaters circling around like a flock of starlings looking for their
place to roost.  There were more around the village and I estimated a total
of about 200 Rainbow Bee-eaters in the village.  This is the largest flock
of RBEs that I have witnessed.  About 40 in February 1998 (also in the
village at dusk) was the previous best.

The wet season is certainly on its way out.  The Black Kites have begun to
return, I saw my first Red-tailed Black-Cockatoos for several months, the
Fairy Martins have finished nesting and have departed, and the cuckoos have
stopped calling.

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)