birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Thanks

Subject: Re: birding-aus Thanks
From: Julian Bielewicz <>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 1999 06:15:59 +1000
birding-aus

Tony:

At 11:45 1/03/1999 +1030, you wrote:

>I recently gave pages of info to Pat O'Malley
>re Kangaroo Island, who then referred some yanks from North Dakota to me and
>they got 2.5 pages from me as well.

There was recently an interesting thread on the European bird mailing list
when a Swedish poster wrote:

<I'm getting sick of all these get_it_for_free requests for
tourist guidelines on the EBN list.>

He viewed RFIs as no better than spam and felt that the posters were simply
wasting subscribers' time when the information was readily available
elsewhere on the Internet.

The number of contrary replies he received must have seriously dented his
ego.  By far the vast majority of responses were to the effect that
subscribers had no objection to them appearing on EBN and considered them
valid postings for birdling lists.  My own contribution to that particular
debate was to point out that here in Oz we probably receive our fair share
of RFIs regarding birding Down Under and that many of us are only too happy
to help out where we can.

While admittedly much (but defintely not all) of the information sought is
available on various websites (eg Tom Tarrant's excellent pages) it is never
as warm and friendly as the "personal touch".  That certainly goes for Tom
in comparison to his website! :-).  Much the same as actually being in the
(foreign) field.  Sure, you can manage with a good field and site guide BUT
you gain a whole new vista with an experienced local birder at your elbow.

Julian
Julian Bielewicz
Past President
Queensland Ornithological Society
12 Florence Street
Kippa-Ring Q. 4021 Australia

Tel: +61 7 3283 4921
Fax: +61 7 3889 4272
email:

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)