birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Niven McCree

To: "Tony Clarke" <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Niven McCree
From: "Alex J. Saar" <>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 05:47:48 +0800
birding-aus

>Hi everyone,
>
>Sorry to have to post this but if Niven is reading then could you please
>contact me. Anyone else reading who can help? I sent a message to
> and it returned as unable to send in 5 days. Did
>I do something wrong or has Niven changed his e-mail address?

Hmmmm Tony

It's difficult to say from the wording of your email. Working backwards
through your message:

"has Niven changed his e-mail address?" Not necessarily.  :-)

"Did I do something wrong?"     Not necessarily.  :-}

"it returned as unable to send in 5 days"

Messages from computers are difficult to understand. ;-)

Let me paint a scenario, and then guess what happened.

Scenario:
Sometimes, when you try to visit a web-site, the computer you are trying to
contact is either very busy (congested) or has been turned off for some
reason (everyone's away on holidays, long weekend, hung-up or crashed,
owner is updating software--anything you can think of as a possible reason
to turn off a computer that may be acting as a server, thus creating some
"downtime"). The message that you get from the WWW in such a case is much
easier to understand. It says something like: "Time Out. No Error. The
computer may be down or congested. Please try again later." If the site is
just busy, "later" might be in a few seconds.

My Guess:
Sometimes, when you send an email, the mail-server it is going to is also
"down". This is NOT unusual, so email programs try to take it into account.
They try to send the email at occasions over the next four hours--just in
case it was congested. Then they keep on trying for the next five
days--just in case the server was off for the weekend, or for repairs, or
for upgrade, etc.

Because we expect email to be fairly quick, the server tells us _IF_ it was
not able to send the message for the last four hours, BUT that it will keep
on trying for the next five days. You do not need to send your message
again.

Sorry that this is so long. If you still have it, try to re-read the
message that you got from the computer.

I'll leave it for others to verify if Niven's email is correct or has changed.

Hope this offers some explanation.
Cheers
Alex