birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Mystery sound

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Mystery sound
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 11:38:32 +1100
birding-aus

Hi all
Reg Clark wrote;
Can anyone throw any light on the possible source of these strange sounds ?
Not a birding question but one of those intriguing consequences of our
interest.

Anthony Mitchell wrote;
how about the tree gecko Psuedothecadactylis australis?

My vote also goes to the tree gecko Psuedothecadactylis australis. They are
one of the largest geckos found in Australia and routinely shelter in small
hollows.
Indeed the most efficient means of locating them on much of Cape York is to
scratch around small hollows with your finger nail or a small stick while
listening for their characteristic 'growl'. Note also that many tree frogs
including one of our largest, the white lipped tree frog, also shelter in
hollows at Iron Range and give various vocal responses when disturbed.
Rohan

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)