birding-aus

birding-aus Re; Kookaburra Nest Competition

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Re; Kookaburra Nest Competition
From: "Bob & Sadhana Cook" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 20:42:16 +1100
birding-aus

I have a single observation that may be of interest.  A couple of years
ago, (Summer, but I cannot be sure which month), we observed a pair of
Crimson Rosellas (P. flaveolus) alight at a hollow in a riverside River Red
Gum at Echuca, Vic.  A laughing Kookaburra immediately emerged from the
hollow and "saw off" the Rosellas.  We only observed for a few minutes, but
in that time, the Rosellas did not return and the Kookaburra maintained its
stance at the entrance to the hollow.  It certainly did not appear to be
ready to give up the hollow to the Rosellas.

The other point is that the tree was right at the water's edge in the
centre of the area where the tourist paddle-steamers pull up, so there also
appeared to be no negative effect of human proximity to where the
Kookaburra was "defending" its hollow (at approximately 10 metres above
ground level).

Regards, Bob Cook

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)