birding-aus

birding-aus Mynas

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Mynas
From: "Edward G McNabb" <>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 20:30:04 +1100
I have found that Common Mynas here in the Dandenong Ranges do have their uses. On average, once each spring I have a visit from an obliging Myna that enters the flue of the Coonara heater via the small space under the "chinaman's hat". After it has fluttered up and down for an hour or two and cleaned the flue, the now "Sooty Myna", is thanked and despatched on his way.
(some details have been changed to protect the innocent).
More good news on Mynas: Nesting Mynas have supplied our  resident Grey Butcherbirds with fresh prey during spring. We were surprised at the size of a prefledged Myna that the Butcherbirds had cached on a twig outside our kitchen window, and drew some satisfaction watching the family lining up on the branch to receive portions from a parent.

Ed McNabb