birding-aus

birding-aus Re: Owls & lunar cycle

To: "John Leonard" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Re: Owls & lunar cycle
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 13:04:50 +1100
birding-aus

I have wondered about the same thing. I think in most parts of Australia the
Boobook is the most common and accessible owl species. With 17 years of
Canberra GBS data, I thought to check whether records (which are based
around weeks) were more or less in number during any particular moon phases.
To do a detailed analysis would take a long time, so I had a quick "eyeball"
investigation to decide whether such an effort was warranted. The records
for Boobook show numbers highest in spring to early summer months with a
marked reduction in winter. The broad spread of records provides nothing
that is at all even suggestive of a four week cycle that could be associated
with lunar phases. Presumably most records are based on birds heard at
night, when recorded from calling, although some records are birds seen and
that could compromise an analysis.