birding-aus

Re: Raptor chasing galahs

To: "Dylan O'Donnell" <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: Re: Raptor chasing galahs
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 12:03:42 +1100
Dylan,
Better raptor experts than I have proved the point that Peregrines eat
Galahs. However that certainly doesn't add much of a clue to your id. I
think that raptor will have to stay a UFO. I'd have little doubt that Black
Falcons relish Galahs too, as apparently do Grey Falcons, if you believe
published photos. Falcons sometimes fly at flocks of potential prey in a
style that suggests they are not hunting, and why not, they do have other
things to do. I recall in about 1977 a Black Falcon casually flying through
a flock of Pigeons at La Trobe Uni. They parted in front of it and regrouped
after it went through.