birding-aus

Re: Varied introductions to birdwatching.

To: (Chris Dahlberg)
Subject: Re: Varied introductions to birdwatching.
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 11:58:01 +1000
At 10:34 9/01/99 +1000, you wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>                 A nice little story from our wet tropics area. Peter
>Collins from Ingham came out on the trip this morning with his binoculars
>and enthusiasm and we had a reasonable trip after the flood of two days ago.
>Apart from a couple from Melbourne, who would like to see the butcherbirds
>and flying-foxes done away with, all the passengers were very keen on the
>idea of the bird atlas and conservation matters in general. As normal at the
>end of the trip I collect fax numbers so that I can fax the mornings species
>list to people later in the day. Peter gave me his business card with the
>fax number on it and I noted that he is the manager of the Victoria Sugar
>Mill at Ingham. It appears his inspiration and introduction to birdwatching
>has come from John Young's collaboration with the cane farmers to place owl
>nesting boxes on cane farms and reduce poison baits for cane pests. I have
>found it is not unusual for some of our good birdwatchers, like John, to
>have a background in farming and a good appreciation of the environment.
>
>Have a happy new year, mine has started well.
>
>Chris

When I ran the BOCA Challenge Bird Count around Ingham in 1996 and 1997
Peter Collins was part of the team, counting all the birds around the mill
and at the  Managers residence.  A good bloke.

As well as farmers. I am finding that a lot of golfers also know their
birds quite well - or at least those species which habitate the trees and
watercourses around the fairways.

Enjoy Spain and the UK!

Alex