birding-aus

Re: Whistling Kites in groups

To: <>
Subject: Re: Whistling Kites in groups
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 14:41:26 +1100
It is a bit odd that I didn't think your observation was so unusual.
Certainly Black Kites are far more likely to be seen in very large
congregations but in northern Australia, I have also seen Whistling Kites in
congregations, often these are in mixed flocks. Sorry this doesn't
constitute details but impressions. I would not have thought more than ten
or so WK together was a regular occurrence. I'd suggest your observation is
of the more than usual type, rather than without precedent.
For a bit of borderline relevant trivia, I did once see a "flock" of 23
Wedge-tailed Eagles perched and flying within about 300 metres of each other
near the Bulloo Downs beside the road between Thargomindah and Tibooburra in
I think September 1983. There were a lot of rabbits there too.