birding-aus

Birding at Barrington Tops

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Birding at Barrington Tops
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 12:00:51 +1000
Fellow Birders......

We recently had a lovely experience birding in the Barrington Tops, in the
Great Divide about 2 hours north of Newcastle, NSW. We stayed at the
Barrington Guest House. As I was writing the following to a friend, I
thought to share it with you, in case you are looking for inspiration about
where to go birding/holidaying:

"Barrington Tops was marvellous. A superb destination for birdwatching,
bushwalking, or just admiring the scenery. The new self-contained
"rainforest chalets" are perfect. They are up the hill from the guesthouse,
are creatively designed and superbly outfitted. I must say that the
proprietors run a very good operation, and really care that their guests
have a good time. When I explained that we were not very good at joining
social groups, and that we were happier left to our own devices, they
treated us accordingly, but welcomed us into any activities. When we said
that our trip was in pursuit of the Rufous Scrub Bird, the proprietor got
in touch with a local bushwalking guide, got the latest details, arranged a
full day's hike for us with the guide, and even had arranged for a lodge
vehicle to be dropped at an isolated spot for us to drive ourselves back to
the guesthouse. It rained and rained, washing out our hiking plans, but
I'll never forget his determination to get us to this bird, high up in the
Antarctic beech forests. I don't think I have ever come across such helpful
hosts in a commercial establishment."

Cheers,

Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Queensland