birding-aus

re. Sparrow

To: <>
Subject: re. Sparrow
From: "bette" <>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 09:26:47 +1100
Firstly I must apologise for my untimely outburst regarding the young
sparrow.
By way of explanation; for seven years I have been revegetating a  degraded
treeless horse paddock of 4 acres on the southern Mornington Peninsula.
I started by collecting local seed stock so that what I planted was truly
indigenous.
I am now at the stage where I am growing plants from seed taken from my own
plants which to me is very satisfying.
I have put in extensive areas of indigenous grasses,sedges and other
species of undercover.
I have put in three small ponds which are brimming with two species of
frogs,the southern brown Treefrog and the Eastern Bango{or Pobblebonk}
There are oodles of tadpoles and adults which during the winter months
delight me with their mating calls.
The end result of all this hard work is that the birds are returning. I
have a resident family of Blue Wrens that have become quite tame and
frustrate visitors by leaving their calling card on the side mirrors of
their cars!! They  expend a lot of energy at this time of the year
attacking their own image!
A White fronted Chat nested low down in one of my Moonahs this year and did
a wonderful impersonation of a dying Swan whenever I approached the nest.
The Spiny cheeked and Singing Honeyeater are both regular visitors taking
advantage of the many Correa reflexas that I have planted as well as the
more common New Hollands and both species of wattlebird.
Earlier this year I was very excited by a visit from 4 yellow tailed Black
Cockatoos which are an uncommon sight on the Peninsula due to the early
removal of the coastal she-oak[Allocasuarina verticillilata} and Coast
Banksia{B. Integrifolia} both of which I have planted hundreds.I am hoping
for regular visits from Y.T.B's as my trees fully mature.I am having to do
their job of removing borers of which the coastal she-oak is particularly
vunerable to.
My one beef in all of this is the number of  Sparrows I have living around
the house!!!!!
They keep the Red browed Finches away and I am constantly pulling their
nests down from the eaves and the shed.They have an unpleasant incessant
call and frankly I can't stand them!
I am hoping with continuing planting and nest destruction I might one day
be rid of them so if anyone has any ideas about getting rid of them apart
from wringing their necks I would gladly welcome their suggestions.

                                           Cheers Bett Mitchell.