birding-aus

Re: Twitchathon

Subject: Re: Twitchathon
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 15:05:48 +1000
I see no reason not to run a second, abridged, twitchathon.  Why January?
Would it not be better to have them evenly spaced through the year so as
not to detract from the Bird Week twitchathon.  Also you run the risk of
having VERY warm weather in late January.  I also personally feel that
Birds Australia really need to be involved rather than have something set
up as competition.  I fully realise that this was never meant to be the
objective but the organisers (who are they?) need to bear this in mind.  I
assume this would be a fund raising exercise.

One question Russell.  "* Any species seen by another team is struck off -
remaining species (if any!) count.  This may need to be on a state by state
basis so a few
teams actually score SOMETHING.  It's a bit like Boggle, for those who have
played it."

If this rule were to operate I feel that to be really competitive (and
there are competitive people out there) you would need to travel to an area
where your chances of picking up different species would be maximised.
This would almost certainly necessitate a fair bit of travel even if only
to get to the desired 1 degree block.  It seems to me that this might
negate the reasons why this second twitchathon was suggested.

Just my thoughts.

David Geering