birding-aus

Cisticolas duetting

Subject: Cisticolas duetting
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:37:30 -0500
G'day all

My Fairy-wren was apparently performing a 'mouse-run' to distract me or
something else from its nest or young.  Thanks to all those who provided
this information.  It is great to observe something 'new' in a species I
thought I knew well.

Now for my next query.  I cycle past a couple of paddocks full of
Golden-headed Cisticolas each morning.  My crude attempt at transcribing
their call would be 'bzzzzzzzz click click'.  Now I believe that the
'bzzzzzzzz' and the 'click click' are made by separate individuals,
probably male and female as is the case with Eastern Whipbirds and Spotted
Pardalotes in my experience.  I think the males give the first part in
each case.  No doubt this would be a useful way of keeping in touch in
dense cereal paddocks.

I would appreciate any discussion on duetting of Cisticolas.  My reference
collection doesn't mention it.

Cheers

Steve

Stephen Clark
Agriculture Victoria, Pastoral & Veterinary Institute
Private Bag 105  HAMILTON  3300  Australia
Phone 0355 730 977   Fax 0355 711 523