birding-aus

re: Wader at Frankston Beach, VIC

Subject: re: Wader at Frankston Beach, VIC
From: palliser <>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 23:02:02 +1100
>I haven't seen Common Redshank for a few years.
>
>I have forwarded the photos to Tony Palliser in Sydney for his comments.
>
>Has anyone else on birding-aus seen the photos?

>Yes, Stuart sent them to me too.  It looks like a sharp-tailed sandpiper to
>me.  I don't think it's a Redshank (I was brought up on redshanks as a kid
>in Ireland).  Redshanks have strikingly red, longish legs and a very
>distinctive flutey call when flushed, not the clicking sound described by
>Stuart (which also agrees with sharp-tailed).  Redshanks also show trailing
>white on the wings and conspicuous white rump.
>
>Cheers,  Ian

Frank,
I have already sent a message to birding-aus but it seems to have been lost
somewhere, Anyway David is spot on there is no doubt in my opinion that
this bird is indeed a Red Knot.  Often a confusing species, but the shape
and structure, leg length, thickness and length of the bill rules out all
other possibilties.  The flight photograph is misleading and represents
reflection more than anything else.  Aging the bird is more difficult given
the quality of the photos on my screen, but it would have to be either
Juvenile or Adult winter plumage.

Best Regards
Tony