birding-aus

Red-rumped Parrot nesting site

Subject: Red-rumped Parrot nesting site
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 08:57:42 +1000
While waiting on the Eltham (Melbourne) railway platform each morning I
usually manage to see a few (relatively) interesting birds.  Some time ago
I saw a pair of Red-rumped Parrots prospecting for nesting sites.  They
even had a look inside the metal arm holding the electrified cable over the
tracks right in front of the busiest section of platform.

Lo and behold, the other morning I was watching the female being fed by the
male after which they flew to this metal arm and she disappeared inside.
This is, at a guess, about 100mm x 100mm square, horizontal for a little
over a metre and then slopes down to the pole at an angle of about 20
degrees.  I have no idea where in the pipe she was nesting.  I would have
thought that the far end would be difficult for her as there would be no
flat surface, unless it was partially filled with debris.  I would also
imagine that it may be difficult for her to keep the eggs together if she
had laid on the flat section nearer the entrance.  It's not as though she
could chew herself a nice bed from the nest base.  Nevertheless, it would
appear that she is coping.

Is this an indication of the lack of hollows, or that the available hollows
are occupied by starlings and mynas?  While living in Newcastle I assisted
the local wildlife carers group by banding their rehab. birds.  I was
amazed at the large number of Eastern and Crimson Rosella young that were
removed from wall cavities in the coal field towns of Kurri Kurri and
Cessnock each year.  The forests of these areas had been worked over
thoroughly for pit props in the past and hollows were few and far between
apparently forcing hole nesters to search for alternatives.

David Geering