birding-aus

Re: Frogmouths

Subject: Re: Frogmouths
From: "jon wren" <>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 03:17:37 PST
Hello David,
I've always looked at the size of the bird as I always assumed that the
female was the larger bird, although that can be a problem with the
posture the bird strikes from time to time. The presumed male bird at
Delta was a rescued bird and eventually released in that area and
commonly called "Noddy" by the Phllips. Of course we are not sure if
this is the same bird each year at the nest. The amazing thing about
this male bird seems to be its total dislike to roost high in the trees
much preferring the low branches to a maximum of 2m.
The Delta birds have two fluffy/downy chicks while the Brisbane St bird
has one chick about a week old. Notes have been recorded for the Nest
Record Scheme.
Haven't had an opportunity to get out to Cape Edgecumbe since I returned
from holidays, will make an effort this weekend.

Jon Wren Bowen