birding-aus

Re: Frogmouths

Subject: Re: Frogmouths
From: "jon wren" <>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 04:14:44 PST
Greetings from Bowen,
On checking back through my diary about nesting Tawny Frogmouths I found
that the times when both birds are on the nest have always been when the
chicks have hatched. I even have a drawing from the Jullaten Caravan
Park of a nesting pair on nest with three small chicks.
The female is observed on the nest the majority of visits that I have
had at Delta (north of Bowen) and another bird close by to where I live,
photos actually taken today of the latter.
I have not observed both birds at nest when only eggs are present in the
nest but I have seen the presumed mate perched on the same branch or
within a few metres of the nest.
One thing for sure is that they are always a hit with the visitors
especially when they have young.
Good birding
Jon Wren