birding-aus

RE: lorikeets, willy wagtails, etc.

To: "'Ozbird Mail'" <>
Subject: RE: lorikeets, willy wagtails, etc.
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 1998 09:33:26 +1000
> There are lots of musk lorikeets at Monash Uni Clayton Vic now.  Their
> favourite trees are in flower again.  There have been many rainbows
> about for a long time but until recently I hadn't seen musk lorikeets at

There are some Little Lorikeets roosting in a linear park near where I live
in Fitzroy North (Melbourne) at the moment.  It's the first time I've
personally recorded that species in the inner Melbourne suburbs - any
further info on that from inner-city Melbournites?

> Have to mention a pair of willy wagtails, also at Monash, that I have
> seen repeatedly attacking a raven, landing on its back and pecking it.
> The willy wagtails have since succeeded in raising two young. Nearby

Willie Wagtails in the same park harrass our very old dog very persistently.
Max is so deaf and half blind that she fails to notice, but the birds swoop
her to within millimetres until we get past where the supposed nest is.

Lawrie Conole
Fitzroy North, Victoria, Australia

http://www.users.bigpond.com/ocoineoil/