birding-aus

lorikeets, willy wagtails, etc.

Subject: lorikeets, willy wagtails, etc.
From: "Merrilyn Serong" <>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 01:23:36 +1100
There are lots of musk lorikeets at Monash Uni Clayton Vic now.  Their
favourite trees are in flower again.  There have been many rainbows
about for a long time but until recently I hadn't seen musk lorikeets at
Monash since last summer if I remember rightly.

Have to mention a pair of willy wagtails, also at Monash, that I have
seen repeatedly attacking a raven, landing on its back and pecking it.
The willy wagtails have since succeeded in raising two young. Nearby
there are also nesting hobbies, butcherbirds, noisy miners, magpie
larks, white-browed scrub wrens, Pacific black ducks, and purple swamp
hens.  Several other species are likely to be nesting/breeding at
Monash, though I haven't seen the nests or recent young. Also saw a
sacred kingfisher there the other day. The list of birds is long.  It
certainly shows the importance of wise planning from the early days and
still continuing, with planting of Aus native plants, which has created
a little bird attracting oasis in the suburbs.

Merrilyn Serong