birding-aus

Re: two observations from Canberra

To: (John Leonard)
Subject: Re: two observations from Canberra
From: (Harvey Perkins)
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 13:34:17 +1000
>2. There seems to a complete lack of water-birds in the areas around
>Canberra at the moment, there are a few Black and Wood Ducks nesting up
>trees, and a very few Ibises about, but no herons, egrets or spoonbills;
>even the Silver Gulls have disappeared from Lake Burley Griffin. I assume
>that all these birds have disappeared off to where there have been floods
>and so forth to breed.

John,

Yesterday (1300h 2.11.98) at Kelly's Swamp, Jerrabomberra Wetlands,
Canberra, the numbers of waterbirds were also very low.  There was,
however, a single Great Egret as well as two pelicans, a nesting Black Swan
and five full-size young swans, several Pacific Black Ducks with ducklings,
a single male Chestnut Teal and single swamphen, moorhen and coot.  No
Latham's Snipe yet that I could see, but Clamorous Reed-Warblers abounded
and I also saw a couple of Little Grassbirds and heard cisticolas.

I'm hoping that when I go on the COG-organised Plainswanderer tour in
December I'll encounter some of the hordes of birds which have fled
inland....

Harvey

Dr Harvey D. Perkins
Divn Biochemistry & Molecular Biology