birding-aus

Re: Leaden Flycatcher in Melbourne

Subject: Re: Leaden Flycatcher in Melbourne
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 15:58:28 +1000
 wrote:

> G'day all
>
> Unusual sighting of a Leaden Flycatcher in my brother's backyard in
> West
> Heidelberg, Melbourne, yesterday (18th October 1998).  The bird was a
> male
> and was seen on several occasions during the day.  West Heidelberg is
> about as unfriendly to native birds as any Melbourne suburb so I was
> quite
> suprised at this sighting.
>
> Can any of the Melbourne birders comment on the frequency of Leaden
> Flycatchers in Melbourne?
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve

> Stephen Clark
> Agriculture Victoria, Pastoral & Veterinary Institute
> Private Bag 105  HAMILTON  3300  Australia
> Phone 0355 730 977   Fax 0355 711 523

The ONLY Leaden Flycatcher I ever saw in Heidelberg area was a fine male
in my Japanese Magnolia in Ivanhoe back in spring c. 1969 or 1970! Our
house block backs onto Darebin Creek, which acts as migration route for
many species.  At the time several people who should have known better
told me categorically that it was a female Restless FC. Fortunately I
made a sketch at the time.
   I used to see occasional Satin Flycatchers near home in the riverside
undergrowth at Wilson Reserve, and Golden Whistlers.  None for years and
years.  But lately (1995 and 1996) I have seen a pair of Rufous Fantails
there in the dampest shadiest corner in the first week of November -
presumably passage migrants - going where?
   ANTHEA FLEMING