birding-aus

Re: Rainbow Lorikeets around Melbourne

Subject: Re: Rainbow Lorikeets around Melbourne
From: RUSSELL DEAN WOODFORD <>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 12:22:19 +1000 (EST)
Firstly, an apology to anyone trying to get on or off this list over the
last 2 weeks - I've been offline for most of that time.  If anyone is
still having problems, please contact me direct at
or on 03-52 739237.

I've never recorded Rainbow Lorikeet in my 'backyard' (i.e. anywhere on or
around the extensive GGS campus by Corio bay & Limeburners Lagoon on the
northern outskirts of Geelong) but they are abundant around Geelong and in
the You Yangs to the NW, and I'd guess they would occur in most places
between here and Melbourne (c. 70 Km).  We get the other 3 lorikeets:
Purple-crowned nearly all the time, Little occasionally, and Musk when it
suits them (some years often, others not at all).  We have Galahs resident
on campus, Sulphur-Crested C's are increasing, and Eastern & Crimson
rosellas off and on, mainly in winter.  No Red-rumps as yet, although they
are nearby and probably wander overhead, but I haven't redorded any.  Nor
any Yellow-tailed Blacks and Gang-Gangs, which are all around Geelong in
the winter, but never here.

I suppose this odd assortment of parrots must be due to (A) the small
number of suitable eucalypts on campus but mainly (B) the total absence of
suitable eucalypts between us and the rest of Geelong or to the north.  We
have instead:  Shell refinery / Corio tip / BHP Wiremill / Ford plant /
Pivot Fertilisers and other large industrial complexes.

Any comments about our parrot collection?  Are we likely to get Rainbows
moving in soon?

Russell Woodford
Geelong, Victoria