birding-aus

Re: Rainbow Lorikeets continuing to spread

Subject: Re: Rainbow Lorikeets continuing to spread
From: "Alex J. Saar" <>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 07:04:28 +0800
In WA, Rainbow Lorikeets were first recorded as an "invasion" early in 1968
in five of the eastern suburbs adjacent to Perth (Wembley, Daglish, Shenton
Park, Nedlands and Crawley). It was almost twenty years (1988) before they
had spread to Mt Lawley (about 5 km north of the city).

Although the spread was slow, they are now the most commonly seen and heard
bird in Mt Lawley when the lemon-scented gums are in flower.

When I first saw them, I too thought of them as a welcome addition. Now I
think of them as any other feral (pigeon, laughing turtledove, spotted
turtledove, laughing kookaburra). And there's been plenty of discussion
here recently about ferals.

Interestingly, the Perth Zoo is celebrating it centenary. Also the Perth
Zoo was responsible for introducing the laughing turtledove, the spotted
turtledove and the laughing kookaburra--so these ferals are also
celebrating a centenary.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not completely one-sided here. I love to see the
rainbows--but I wish they weren't there. I love to hear the
kookaburras--but I wish they weren't there. The others you can raffle.

Have fun
Cheers
Alex