birding-aus

Re: 300 species from the Lockyer Valley S. Qld.B

Subject: Re: 300 species from the Lockyer Valley S. Qld.B
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 16:11:12 +1000 (EST)
On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Lloyd Nielsen wrote:
> The largest district list I have seen was made by John Young at Ingham
> (Wet Tropics - NQ) where he recorded something like 387 species within
> 50 km of the town.

Birds of Sydney lists 447 native species + 35 exotic species from
an area about the same size.  About 13 of the 447 species are likely
aviary escapees.  A few more are populations at least partially founded
by escapees.  Many others are known by only a few, sometimes very old,
records.

There must be a couple of additions, e.g. Beach Stone-Curlew, since
it was written.

Of course, this list is produced by many observers over 200+ years.

Andrew Taylor