birding-aus

Fw: [RFI] Amorous Emus

To: <>
Subject: Fw: [RFI] Amorous Emus
From: "Vicki Parslow Stafford" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 11:20:16 -0400
The bizarre claim below was sent to the Urban Legends mailing list.  My
first (and current) reaction is oh sure, it was on Home Box Office so it
must be true.  I assume this person saw some kind of staged stunt a la
"Funniest Home Videos".

I have never heard of an attempted sexual assault of a human by an emu,
although I suppose that, as in any animal species, such a thing is
possible.  But this writer implies that this is some kind of characteristic
behaviour!

As one of the objective of the Urban Legends list (and the n-g) is to
debunk false "facts", I would appreciate any definitive information on the
occurrence of this behaviour from any of the good folk on birding-aus who
might be in a position to know ;^).  Email to me appreciated!

Vicki PS
Vicki Parslow Stafford    |  "Even if you can't live up
             |   to your destiny, you can
Ipswich, Qld.  Australia   |    at least have one".