birding-aus

Re: bald eagle in Thredbo ad.

To: <>
Subject: Re: bald eagle in Thredbo ad.
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 15:18:51 +1000
It was, from memory a crude mock up of a bald eagle, a long way distant from
a real live one. Most of their ads are humorous, this one was just pathetic.
I don't know whether it was having a go at Americans, as though Thredbo ski
resort is an international class skiing location. Maybe they think people
are stupid enough to believe Aussies think bald eagles live in the
Australian high country.

It is however annoying that all the shops that sell posters have any number
of images of the bald eagle and never any of the Wedge-tailed Eagle or even
other exotic interesting species like the Harpy Eagle. How come that awful
name "Bald Eagle" persists anyway. It is not bald and it is not even a real
eagle. USA should be honest and rename it American (or White-headed)
Sea-Eagle.