birding-aus

Birdsville Track

Subject: Birdsville Track
From: Bob Sothman <>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 21:08:38 +0930
If anyone is looking for an interesting place to go birding in the next
month may I suggest the Birdsville Track (provided one takes the
neccessary precautions in such a remote area).   After enduring drought
conditions, parts of the Birdsville track have had over 100mm of rain in
the last few weeks.  The "desert" is currently looking wonderfully green
with water everywhere - not a common but a truly amazing sight.

Interesting birds (to me at least) were:-

*Orange Chats (everywhere along the track north of Mungaranie in flocks
of 5 - 7; we saw over 100), Crimson Chats were also plentiful especially
near Birdsville,

*Australian Pratincole & Inland Dotterel were also easy to spot

* Eyrean grasswren - easy (for grasswrens) to see at Munganarie in the
canegrass covered sandhill just behind the pub

* one lonely Greenshank at Cannuwuaukaninna bore

Bob Sothman

PS     Two freckled ducks have been seen at the Tanunda (Barossa Valley)
sewerage works in the last few weeks (first spotted by Rolly Lloyd).