birding-aus

Re: Worldbird Plus

To: "Michael Powell" <>
Subject: Re: Worldbird Plus
From: John Penhallurick <>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 15:23:45 +1000
At 07:59 13/08/98 +1000, you wrote:
>John
>Are there any new versions, or updates of WBP available?.
>I have version 2
>Cheers
>Mike
>
>Michael Powell
>Brisbane  Australia

Could I take this opportunity to let not only Mike but any other users of
WorldBird Plus out there in birding land, that I have just released version
2.4, which includes over 200 new species, such as Cercomacra parkeri, and
splits, such as Pterodroma heraldica AND Pterodroma atrata(Henderson Petrel)
from Pterodroma arminjoniana, now Trinidade Petrel.  Most of the new species
and splits relate to South and Central America, but a few relate to
elsewhere.  For example Mark Beaman in Birds of the Palearctic split
Heuglin's Gull from Larus argentatus, and Hume's Leaf-Warbler, Phylloscopus
humei, from P.proregulus. The Zebra Finch that we have in Australia has been
split from the race in the Lesser Sundas.  It turns out that the two races
will not copulate in captivity unless males from one race are painted to
look like a male from the other race!  So in Australia we now have
Taenipygia castanotis, Chestnut-eared Finch. And Lonchura malacca has been
split so that the form introduced in south-eastern NSW is Lonchura
atricapilla. Lonchura malacca is confined to India.

For $15, I will be glad to send anyone an update, including an electronic
and updated version of the User Manual and copious information on the new
species.Credit card or cheque is fine.

John Penhallurick
Associate Professor John M. Penhallurick<>
Canberra, Australia
Phone BH( 61 2) 6201 2346   AH (61 2) 62585428
FAX (61 2) 6258 0426
Snail Mail  Faculty of Communication
                University of Canberra,A.C.T.2601, AUSTRALIA
OR            PO Box 3469, BMDC, BELCONNEN, ACT 2617, AUSTRALIA

                "I'd rather be birding!"
                "Vivat,crescat,floreat Ornithologia"
Hartert,Vog.pal.Fauna,p.2016.