birding-aus

Parthenium (again)

Subject: Parthenium (again)
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 11:01:35 +1000
I hope you'll excuse me posting this on birding-aus, but it's the quickest
way I know of getting a message out to birders.

Following on from my previous posting I contacted DNR regarding the
presence of parthenium at the Mingela wetlands (an area open to the general
public as opposed
to a pastoral lease).  Peter James of the 'Pest Plants & Animals' section
tells me that parthenium is present in the following areas around Townsville:

* Alligator Creek (a rural residential development adjacent to the Cape
Bowling Green Ramsar site)

* Upper Ross (the catchment area for Townsville water supply and one of the
top birding areas in the Townsville region)

* Woodstock and Mingela (rural areas).

The weed spread to the Alligator Creek area in chook food.  DNR has mounted
a campaign to clean up infected properties at Alligator Creek; Atrazine is
the prefered herbicide due to its cost and residual properties (a single
parthenium plant can produce several thousand seeds.)

I assured Peter that we were careful not to bring any seeds on our clothing
(I hope!)

Thanks

Alex Appleman
Townsville