birding-aus

Re: Wildlife Harvesting

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Re: Wildlife Harvesting
From: Eric Hocking <>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 22:01:23 +1000
Penny Drake-Brockman wrote:
> in the Cairngorms in Scotland, for many years red deer have
> been carefully protected for the shooting season

I hesitate to bounce in here, but I can add perhaps just a little
perpective, gleaned from posts in uk.rec.birdwatching.

Not on deer but on game birds.

As you say the hunters, gamekeepers and collectors *are* terribly efficient,
perhaps too much so as there is evidence of the environment being actively
cultivated to support the game species and other competitor species and
especially predator species are dealt with in a ruthless, but often
clandestine, fashion.

Wile I ws in Kenya on holiday I was able to discuss Operation Campfire with
a few locals, and opinion is that it seems to be working.  But this is a
different kettle of fish, as OC is in place to try to curb population
invasion into habitat by allowing a game quota to the residence.  This is an
action borne out of the need for conservation in these areas.

The Scottish situation is merely economic and has little to do with
conservation.  That is conservation of an ecosystem rather than exclusive
conservation of a target species over the other residents.

--
Eric Hocking
"A closed mouth gathers no feet"