birding-aus

Re: wildlife harvesting

To: "John Leonard" <>
Subject: Re: wildlife harvesting
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 13:17:40 +1000
John Leonard's comments are absolutely spot on, I was just about to write
the same thing and we don't even need to be as obscure as discussing
microwaves. I think this is an important point. Whilst export of all species
is restricted, the pressure is on the not so rare species. Even as bad as
the smuggling trade is (on animal welfare grounds), whilst galahs and
sulphur-crested cockatoos etc remain rare for collectors overseas, the
pressure is on those species. Their population status can cope and could
possibly even handle annual decimation (of young birds) under poaching
pressure. Although the current rate of loss from poaching such abundant
species would be nowhere near one in ten (ie decimation), more like one in
100000s. If such species are made cheaply available overseas, that would not
satisfy the demand. The psychology of collection is such that pressure would
increasingly flow down to the rarer species. Sadly they can least handle it.
Legal export of common species would increase, not decrease, pressure on
rare species.
Another point is, some of these species could be harmful if they become
established in foreign lands, just as many foreign species have become here.
As good global citizens, we should try to avoid those problems happening
elsewhere.