birding-aus

Cumberland County Bird Surveys

To: Tony PALLISER <>
Subject: Cumberland County Bird Surveys
From: Chris Shinton <>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 21:30:35 +1000
Tony PALLISER wrote:

>  Do you know what happened to the biannual survey of the birds of Cumberland
> as was formerly organised by Arnold McGill? Was there a reason for dropping
> this program?  It would seem to me given the amount of development going on
> that it would be a good idea to start it up again and at the same time
> consider recording the data for the Birds Australia ATLAS program that is
> about to start.

Hello Tony
        I don't know about the survey originated by Arnold McGill , but the
Cumberland Bird Observers Club are actively promoting an ongoing survey
of the birds of the County of Cumberland, with a current database of
more than 20,000 records. The data from this excercise is in accordance
with the BIGNET protocol and is being supplied to the new ATLAS project.
There has been an enormous ammount of work in setting up this database
and CBOC are very keen for other clubs and individuals to contribute.
The more observers for this survey the better because there are many
grids within the county that have not been surveyed so far, or are not
being surveyed regularly. If anyone would like to contribute, Tony
Saunders, CBOC Records Officer, will supply the grid map, record sheets
and any other information that is required - phone 02 4759 2559.

--
Chris Shinton
Activities Officer CBOC