birding-aus

Re: Unwanted files

To: "R.E. Viljoen" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re: Unwanted files
From: Paul Foxworthy <>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 17:17:41 +1000
At 14:22 16/06/1998 +1000, R.E. Viljoen wrote:
>I am a novice at this game.  Can anyone tell me you tell me how to delete
>files from a computer. I delete all my messages from my MS Internet Mail
>Application (part of Win 95) using the delete button of the toolbar, but
>using Explorer, I find that in C:\ I have a folder (directory) Program
>Files which when expanded into its all its sub-directories has a folder
>called Mail, that contains all the messages I have received & deleted in
>four files,  two of which now occupy over 8Mb!  The two biggest files are
>called Deleted Items.mbx & Inbox.mbx.  I did not create these files.  I
>suspect my ISP created the folders, however I have no idea how the files
>are created.   I tried moving the file called Deleted Items.mbx to the
>Recycle Bin & then tried to delete a message in MS Internet Mail, but was
>told the file had been corrected &  I could not delete.  Re-installing the
>file corrected the situation, but I still have these huge files.  I feel
>sure other subscribers to birding-aus must have had this problem, so though
>my query is not about birds, it may interest other subscribers.

Choose the Mail menu, then Options, then the Read tab. Turn on the "Empty
Messages from the 'Deleted Items' folder on exit". Now, when you leave
Internet
Mail, those messages will be deleted.

The Inbox will have unread messages and messages you want to keep. The only
way to slim it down is to delete messages out of it into the Deleted Items
folder, which I gather you've been doing.

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy

---- Coherent Software ------------- http://www.cohsoft.com.au/ ----
For interactive Web sites, catalogues, shopping carts, etc.
Member Aust. Web Publishers' Assoc.     http://www.awpa.asn.au/
Ask about our book "Genealogy on the Internet" - 3rd ed. out now!
Aust. Family History Compendium at http://www.cohsoft.com.au/afhc/
PGP Key: ftp://ftp.cohsoft.com.au/pub/pgpkeys/coherent.asc