birding-aus

Regent HEs - Chiltern, Vic.

To: "'Ozbird Mail'" <>
Subject: Regent HEs - Chiltern, Vic.
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 09:53:31 +1000
My partner Fiona and I spent the weekend at Chiltern Box-Ironbrk
NationalPark in north-east Victoria, with Tony Russell and Bill (insert
surname) from Adelaide.

On Saturday I came across the Regent Honeyeater's constant companion,
local birder Eileen Collins, on Greenhill Road in the forest.  I had
seen Regents at this spot a couple of winters ago, and she was searching
the park.  She told me that the group of 40 which had been frequenting
the area near Frog's Hollow had broken up during the very cold weather
on Thursday, and she could only find 6 there now.  She hadn't been
successful at that stage in locating the other 34.  When we went to the
Frog's Hollow area at about 3:45, we found no Regents there, but at
about 8:00AM the next day there were 4 birds there in the roadside Mugga
Ironbarks.  One bird was colour banded (left - green over metal; right -
green over yellow).

The Mugga Ironbark is coming to the end of flowering and although a box
species (White Box?) is getting under way, there is very little blossom
in the park.  Some honeyeaters and most lorikeets were generally scarce
throughout.

The other point of interest was at the end of Klotz Track where we saw a
couple of Yellow Rosellas 9ie. 'yellow' Crimson Rosellas) feeding on
GoldenWattle flowers, and not far away some 'crimson' Crimson Rosellas.
Don't think I've seen them so close together before!

Attached are BirdInfo survey forms for 4 locations in the forest
(lat/long in DMS from GPS; you'll need to set font to Courier 10 to get
the columns to line up properly).

Cheers, Lawrie

Lawrie Conole
58 Holden Street, Fitzroy North 3068
Victoria, Australia
37°46'57"S  144°58'45"E

Tel +61 3 9486 4575

http://www.users.bigpond.com/ocoineoil/

Surveys:                         12/07/1998

*******
Fref: BART1      Obs: LEC  Dates: 12/07/1998 -   /  /     Site: BART

Survey:      Time:      Area:
-----
Country:   36.030 Locality: Bartley's Paddock, Chiltern NP, Victoria

Habitat: Box ironbark    C1/2:CH /11
Lat: 36  7 45 S Long: 146 36 29 E A Accuracy: 10  Altitude: 300   M LR:

-----
CODE--- Count Age S St Br T R Species
 8490.0                   S   Yellow-tufted Honeyeater
 8533.0                   S   Red Wattlebird
 8526.0                   S   Noisy Miner
 8503.0                   S   Blue-faced Honeyeater
 8500.0                   S   Black-chinned Honeyeater
 8253.0                   S   Australian Raven
 8277.0                   S   Australian Magpie
 8431.0                   S   Crested Shrike-tit
 8444.0                   S   Grey Shrike-thrush
 8317.0                   S   Superb Fairy-wren
 8486.0                   S   White-plumed Honeyeater
 8480.0                   S   Fuscous Honeyeater
 8486.0                   S   White-plumed Honeyeater
 8544.0                   S   Spotted Pardalote
 8181.0                   S   Crimson Rosella
 8426.0                   S   Eastern Yellow Robin
 8184.0                   S   Eastern Rosella
 8404.0                   S   Willie Wagtail
 8045.0                   S   Australian Wood Duck
 8367.0                   S   Weebill
 8287.0                   S   White-winged Chough
 8523.0                   S   Eastern Spinebill
 8042.0                   S   Australian Shelduck

*******
Fref: FROGH1     Obs: LEC  Dates: 11/07/1998 - 12/07/1998 Site: FROGH

Survey:      Time:      Area:
-----
Country:   36.030 Locality: Frog's Hollow, Chiltern B-I NP, Victoria

Habitat: Box ironbark    C1/2:CH /11
Lat: 36  8 50 S Long: 146 38 18 E A Accuracy: 10  Altitude: 300   M LR:

-----
CODE--- Count Age S St Br T R Species
 8486.0                   S   White-plumed Honeyeater
 8533.0                   S   Red Wattlebird
 8490.0                   S   Yellow-tufted Honeyeater
 8404.0                   S   Willie Wagtail
 8286.0                   S   Magpie-lark
 8181.0                   S   Crimson Rosella
 8317.0                   S   Superb Fairy-wren
 8497.0                   S   White-naped Honeyeater
 8526.0                   S   Noisy Miner
 8253.0                   S   Australian Raven
 8188.0                   S   Red-rumped Parrot
 8500.0                   S   Black-chinned Honeyeater
 8522.0 4                 S   Regent Honeyeater
                                4 birds (Eileen Collins reported 6 the
previous
                                day).  In roadside Mugga Ironbarks
between
                                Frog's Hollow and the Hume Fwy roadside
stop.
                                One colour banded bird: left - green
over
                                metal, right - green over yellow.
 8045.0                   S   Australian Wood Duck
 8203.0 3                 S   Turquoise Parrot
 8480.0                   S   Fuscous Honeyeater

*******
Fref: GHR1       Obs: LEC  Dates: 11/07/1998 -   /  /     Site: GHR

Survey:      Time:      Area:
-----
Country:   36.030 Locality: Greenhill Rd., Chiltern Box-Ironbark NP,
Victoria
Habitat: Box ironbark    C1/2:CH /11
Lat: 36  7 18 S Long: 146 37 29 E A Accuracy: 10  Altitude: 300   M LR:

-----
CODE--- Count Age S St Br T R Species
 8490.0                   S   Yellow-tufted Honeyeater
 8544.0                   S   Spotted Pardalote
 8302.0                   S   White-throated Treecreeper
 8459.0                   S   White-browed Babbler
 8444.0                   S   Grey Shrike-thrush
 8426.0                   S   Eastern Yellow Robin
 8152.0                   S   Little Lorikeet
 8248.0                   S   Tree Martin
 8496.0                   S   Brown-headed Honeyeater
 8299.0                   S   Brown Treecreeper
 8500.0                   S   Black-chinned Honeyeater
 8287.0                   S   White-winged Chough
 8431.0                   S   Crested Shrike-tit
 8448.1                   S   Bassian Thrush
21027.0                   S   Yellow-footed Antechinus

*******
Fref: KLOTZ1     Obs: LEC  Dates: 12/07/1998 -   /  /     Site: KLOTZ

Survey:      Time:      Area:
-----
Country:   36.030 Locality: Klotz Track, Chiltern B-I NP, Victoria

Habitat: Box ironbark    C1/2:CH /11
Lat: 36  6 45 S Long: 146 38 13 E A Accuracy: 10  Altitude: 300   M LR:

-----
CODE--- Count Age S St Br T R Species
 8555.0                   S   Diamond Firetail
 8523.0                   S   Eastern Spinebill
 8402.0                   S   Restless Flycatcher
 8496.0                   S   Brown-headed Honeyeater
 8500.0                   S   Black-chinned Honeyeater
 8490.0                   S   Yellow-tufted Honeyeater
 8480.0                   S   Fuscous Honeyeater
 8526.0                   S   Noisy Miner
 8431.0                   S   Crested Shrike-tit
 8444.0                   S   Grey Shrike-thrush
 8406.0                   S   Grey Fantail
 8404.0                   S   Willie Wagtail
 8409.0                   S   Jacky Winter
 8413.0                   S   Scarlet Robin
 8367.0                   S   Weebill
 8359.0                   S   Brown Thornbill
 8366.0                   S   Striated Thornbill
 8459.0                   S   White-browed Babbler
 8302.0                   S   White-throated Treecreeper
 8299.0                   S   Brown Treecreeper
 8305.0                   S   White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike
 8182.0                   S   Yellow Rosella
 8184.0                   S   Eastern Rosella
 8160.0                   S   Galah
 8426.0                   S   Eastern Yellow Robin
 8415.0                   S   Flame Robin
 8253.0                   S   Australian Raven
 8287.0                   S   White-winged Chough
 8277.0                   S   Australian Magpie
 8544.0                   S   Spotted Pardalote
 8488.0                   S   White-eared Honeyeater
 8248.0                   S   Tree Martin
 8181.0                   S   Crimson Rosella