birding-aus

Request NSW Prions

Subject: Request NSW Prions
From: "P.J. Milburn" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 14:04:19 +1000 (EST)
Given the large numbers of Prions close inshore in the Sydney area it is
quite likely that a number of them will beachwash over the next few weeks.
After close inspection of many hundreds of birds on Saturday and Sunday it
was evident that there species other than the normal Fairy Prion present.
There was a lot of variation in the plumage of the Fairy Prions and (as
always) the identification of the Dove-types is always fraught with
uncertainties.  This seems like a good opportunity to obtain useful
information about these birds.

Consequently, may I request that anyone finding beachwashed Prions this
winter contact me or the SOSSA office at  as soon as
possible.  Ideally, collection and freezing the birds would be the prefered
option but I realise that not everyone like to play with corpses!  If you
could extend this request to other beach-walking birders I would be most
grateful.

cheers
Milburn

Dr.Peter Milburn
Biomolecular Resource Facility
The Australian Nation University
GPO Box 334 Canberra ACT 0200  AUSTRALIA
Phone No.  <61> <2> 6249 4326
Fax No.    <61> <2> 6249 4326
E-mail Address