birding-aus

RE: seawatch

To: Rod Gardner <>
Subject: RE: seawatch
From: "Brandis, Chris CC" <>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:59:00 +1000
Should be a good trip off Wollongong this Sunday we hope, I understand
from Tony Palliser there is plenty of room.
Cheers  Chris
 ----------
From: Rod Gardner
Subject: seawatch
Date: Thursday, 25 June 1998 4:31PM

There's some pretty good seawatching to be had off Sydney at the moment,
with the strong _offshore_ southwesterlies. Highlights of a watch today,
Thursday, off Maroubra were:

Behind a trawler this morning were 27 Black-browed, 4 Yellow-nosed, and
1
Shy Albatrosses, and a Brown Skua. Another 2 Shys and more of the other
two
albatrosses were also around, as were 2-3 giant petrels, but no
Wanderers
yet.
Lots of prions offshore (into three figures), about 10 of which came
right
Fifteen seabird species seen all told, and better than some pelagics
I've
been on. Also a Swamp Harrier flew across the bay, and made a couple of
passes at some Fluttering Shearwaters.
If these winds keep up another day or two, it will be well worth a trip
a headland. Even if the winds drop, it may well be good.

Rod Gardner