birding-aus

Red-tailed Black Cockatoos

To: "'Birding-Aus'" <>
Subject: Red-tailed Black Cockatoos
From: "Atzeni, Michael" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 13:58:03 +1000
Having only had the one response to my original posting, regrettably I'm
none the wiser as to whether Red-tailed Black Cockatoos have begun
annually targeting the Toowoomba region exclusively, or we are merely
witnessing part of a widespread movement of the birds to SE Queensland
region in recent years.

Could I please repeat my request to readers, say within a 200 km radius
of Toowoomba, who have seen Red-tails in SE Qld in recent years, to let
me know roughly where and when.  If you have been actively monitoring an
area and not seen them, that information too would help me put our local
records in some sort of perspective.

Furthermore, I am very curious to find out whether the White Cedar
(Melia azedarach) an important food source for Red-tails elsewhere, as
it is not mentioned as a food source in the Atlas, nor the Reader's
Digest?

Thanks again
Michael Atzeni