birding-aus

16 honeyeater species in a couple of hours

To: "'Ozbird Mail'" <>
Subject: 16 honeyeater species in a couple of hours
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 10:06:06 +1000
Yesterday I visited Bailieston on the edge of the Rushworth forest in
central Victoria, with Chris Lester, Susan Myers and Stuart Dashper.
Red Ironbarks (Eucalyptus tricarpa) are flowering profusely there still,
and nectarivorous birds (16 honeyeater & 3 lorikeet species) dominated
the 50 species we saw there in a couple of hours (the latter part of it
in soaking cold rain!).  We only heard one Swift Parrot though, and no
Regent Honeyeaters - unfortunately.  Other points of interest included a
large flock of Striated Pardalotes (100+ individuals), with a few
Silvereyes mixed in, milling around the treetops.  The light was poor
and we couldn't confirm what subspecies they were, but other single
Striated Pardalotes seen nearby were nominate 'striatus'.

Lawrie Conole
58 Holden Street, Fitzroy North 3068
Victoria, Australia
Tel +61 3 9486 4575