birding-aus

RE: Kakadu

Subject: RE: Kakadu
From: (Danny Rogers)
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 12:40:13 +1000 (EST)
Hi,

Thought I would add a snippet about going to Gunlom Falls (if that is what
used to be called Waterfall Creek or UDP Falls) in Kakadu. I tried in April
1996 but couldn't get there as the road was in bad condition. However, I
could get as far as Plum-tree Creek, which is on the road to Gunlom Falls
but about 15 km closer to the highway. It isn't as spectacular as Gunlom,
but it is a very nice place  and it does have many of the escarpment
goodies: highlights in my brief visit there were close looks at
White-throated Grasswrens, Chestnut-quilled Rock-Pigeon, Black Wallaroo and
heaps of Partridge Pigeon. There aren't any tracks and it is easy to get
disoriented as you scramble over the boulders; it is worth taking a compass
there if you plan to cover a lot of ground.

Danny Rogers