birding-aus

Re: Chiltern Regent Honeyeaters

Subject: Re: Chiltern Regent Honeyeaters
From: "David Geering"<>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 10:41:05 +1000
In Victoria, Chiltern is the place where Regent Honeyeaters are conspicuous
at the moment.  But surely, the 40 - 50 present here is not the sum total
of the Victorian population.  Yet there has been only one report of Regent
Honeyeaters in Victoria recently - 2 birds at Bailieston near Rushworth on
the May Regent Honeyeater/Swift Parrot survey.

Over the last month 18 Regent Honeyeaters have been individually
colour-banded at Chiltern.  Are the birds reported last weekend these birds
or were some birds banded in previous years.  This information is required
by the Regent Honeyeater Recovery Program if we are to get valuable
information on the movement patterns of these birds.  Could anyone seeing
colour-banded Regent Honeyeater please record and report the colours
observed.

To assist, I repeat, in part, my posting of 18 May:

Could people seeing colour-banded Regents please notify me ASAP.

In most cases banded Regent Honeyeaters will carry a metal band (silver)
and a colour band on one leg and two colour-band on the other legs.  If all
bands are recorded correctly it is possible to positively identify the
individual bird.  It can take some time to get all colours and be sure of
their position if the birds are actively foraging in the canopy but it can
be, and regularly is, achieved.  It is important to record which colours
are on which leg.  This is best written down immediately as it is easy to
become confused.  Please record colours thus:  Left leg: x over metal
Right leg y over z.  These are the BIRDS right and left.   Please note that
the metal band can be on either of the legs.  The leg carrying the metal
band and the colour with it identifies the location of banding, the other
two colours the birds exact identity.

We are after as much information as possible to build up a more complete
picture of the movements of these birds.

Thanks
David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
Phone: (03) 9412 4297 or Freecall 1800 621 056