birding-aus

Re: no luck

Subject: Re: no luck
From: Rohan Clarke <>
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 18:17:52 +1000
Hi all
Following Lorne's comments I had a think about all the 'good dips' I've had
and have included the best below.

Little Ringed Plover. Lake Tinaroo, Northern QLD Nov 1995. Had lunch at the
boat ramp. Four days later arrived in Cairns to be told a LRP had been seen
at the boat ramp by many in the days leading up to and after my lunch
stop..If only I'd known.

Spotted Whistling Duck. Weipa. Far Northern QLD. Oct 1995 Searched the
sewage farm three days running at mid morning. Later told they flew out to
feed(?) elsewhere at that time of day...If only I'd known.

Franklin's Gull. Esperance WA. Jan 1995 Scanned the gulls on the foreshore
but as nothing of note was seen moved on. Two days and many km later
informed of a Franklin's Gull on, you guessed it, Esperance Foreshore...If
only I'd known.

Grey Pharalope. Port Fairy Vic. July 1992 Cheeked out a small wetland on the
Port Fairy foreshore (nothing of note) before going onto Portland. On return
trip to Melbourne zipped straight past. Recieved a telephone call a few days
later and was told of the Grey Pharalope that was seen on that very same
small wetland less than 24 hours after I'd been there...If only I'd known.

Royal Penguin. Portland Vic. Feb 1995 Drove straight to Portland the day I
heard  of the penguin. Found a white washed rock, many large penguin
feathers but alas no penguin. It had been there for about a week...If only
I'd known.

The only good thing about these sorry sagas was that at ever spot I missed
something there was always plenty of other birds....At Lake Tinaroo
Black-fronted Dotteral, at Weipa Grey Teal, at Esperance Silver Gull and
Pacific Gulls, at Port Fairy Pied Stilt, and at Portland a beachwashed
Little Penguin. Isn't birding great!

Cheers Rohan

 Lorne here...