birding-aus

Lord Howe (Balls Pyramid) and Norfolk Island

Subject: Lord Howe (Balls Pyramid) and Norfolk Island
From: David Roots <>
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 16:23:37 +1000 (EST)
Chris Lester's bird info on LHI and Norfolk is most interesting,
particularly the sectiobn on Ball's Pyramid.

I plan to be on Balls Pyramid in about May 1999, collecting the LHI Phasmid
that was thought to be extinct until I collected a just-deceased one
in 1964 (on the Pyramid).

An expedition is in the planning and application-approval stage now.
We hope to sample the geology, do a bird count, list all the vegetation,
take photos to set an erosion benchmark for future work (extending our
work on LHI), and (most of all) collect a female Phasmid for breeding/cloning.

This should be the definitive study  of Balls Pyramid.
Any help we can get on past bird observations would be most appreciated.
Lawrie  Canole is a likely starter for the bird count.
Overall we have a surprising wealth of (scientist with rockclimbing skill)
talent ken to go, and we aim to shoot some high quality digital video to
capture the magic of the place, complete with sound.
David Roots